Total Pageviews

Follow by Email

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Wan2baHippie

Recently, I had a girls night with some of my favorite gals. Because Pinterest has suddently made crafting cool again, we decided to try some projects. We made these mittens out of old sweaters from the thrift store and scraps of left over fleece from the craft store and old fleece jackets. When my mitten making skills improve a bit, I'm going to repurpose some old family heirloom sweaters into mittens for my aunts! This is a great way to pass the time while watching tv... although the first pair takes about ten hours. After spending about six hours on my first mitten I held it up to Bryana in triumph, only to discover I had knitted the bottom shut! I ended up redoing the first pair entirely. The only rule is: you have to give away the mittens you make! 



I'm lucky enough to have a really cool aunt and uncle, the type of aunt and uncle everyone wishes they had but only a few are lucky enough to actually have them. Mary is a nurse, a masseuse, a horsewoman and a very organic, natural, peaceful lady. She has two Norwegian Fjord Horses that she drives with a cart, and she knows everything there is to know about being a healthy, stylish, and resourceful woman. She uses essential oils, turns antique jewelry into really unique statement pieces, dries her own herbs and flowers, cans veggies from her garden, makes a mean pie and is overall a really neat woman. Her husband Bob is an expert brewer and a master candle maker.  He can put your wedding invitation, dried flowers from a special bouquet, stones, antlers, bullet shells, driftwood, just about anything into a really beautiful candle. 
Check out his site: www.oldhippiecandles.com

Anyhow, these two have taught me just a little bit about candle making and I'm giving it my best shot. The first several tries were... epic failures. I wish I had taken some pictures of the first candles. Bryana asked me to help her make some stone candles for her wedding, so I've been trying to improve. We tried our hand over girls night weekend and had some promising results! 


Here is the candle before we melted the wax off the rocks. 

Neither Bry or I had ever used a blow torch, so it was a little scary...


Voila! The final products! The writing on the square candle is from an engagement card . We made the tea lites in a muffin pan! Trust me, these candles are hideous compared to Bob's... but it was a blast and at least now I have some confidence that we'll be able to make candles for Bry's wedding! 

2 comments:

  1. Amanda picks up blow-torch and Bry says "oh I'm kind of scared". Amanda holds blow-torch and replies "me too". HAHA!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the ideas you have been awakened to!! I love crafting its just a great stress reliever. Plus you feel really proud when it turns out! Keep up the good work. FYI I want to be like your aunt Mary....

    ReplyDelete