Total Pageviews

Follow by Email

Thursday, August 9, 2012

The Thursday before & Saturday after!

The wedding weekend kicked off bright and early on Thursday morning as we headed to the Stone Barn to decorate. We had a great time decorating while jamming out to the ipod. Candace & Kari, aka my wedding angels, decorated the day away-hanging the paper lanterns, setting up the shepherd hooks and mason jars along the aisle, putting tablecloths, plates and napkins on the tables, etc..

McCayla climbed the tree to tie crystals from the tree and Bonnie tied thulle to every single shepherd’s hook. She also patiently poored water into each and every mason jar, a job that took forever!

My Dad pounded in all the signs and did most of the heavy lifting. My mom made sure we thought of every single detail and stayed on track. Tom Imes prepared the wedding vehicle and Barb prepared everything for rehearsal! Meanwhile, back at the farm, Joanie and Amber were busy putting together the bouquets! It should also be mentioned that had to pluck the petals off about 4 five gallon buckets full of roses, hydrangeas, orchids and other flowers in order to get the "petaled aisle" ready! I love you girls!

The amount of work that goes into setting up and tearing down a wedding is astounding. Without my small army of wedding soldiers, I would have been out of luck.

At 4:00 pm headed to the church for a blessing. Drew’s uncle has married all of Drew’s cousins, and Drew was the last cousin to receive a wedding blessing from his uncle Bill. Unfortunately, Bill’s granddaughter was married the same day as us, so we arranged to have a blessing in the church on Thursday evening. It was also meaningful for my family as my great-great-great grandfather Jacob built the original West St. Olaf church; although the church burned down, most of my Thoe relatives have attended West St. Olaf. Many of them were married there and several are also buried there.

Pictures by Metalbird Media:
Photo by Metalbird Media.

Photo by Metalbird Media.

Photo by Metalbird Media.

Photo by Metalbird Media.

On the way to the church we realized that I didn’t have any flowers. I was in the van with my mom and we stopped to pick some wildflowers in the ditch. First we picked black eyed susans and queen anne’s lace, but it didn’t look quite right. We chucked them out the window and grabbed these instead! I don’t think we could have ordered anything so beautiful, they were perfect. I loved the simplicity of Thursday- just my closest family & friends, a simple dress, simple flowers and Drew, all in the presence of God at the church. It was perfect.  

photo by Britt Klug

Thursday evening we went to the barn for rehearsal. Rehearsal went smoothly and we enjoyed Roscoe’s barbecue and growlers from the Duluth Brewhouse. (Drew was originally in charge of catering. He suggested Roscoe’s and I said “Drew, I am not eating bbq in my wedding dress” and with that I usurped his role in selecting a caterer. We did enjoy Roscoe’s on Thursday night!

We invited anyone to give a toast on Thursday night. Some great stories were shared! My little sister Katrina recalled the time she came to visit and we dressed up in old fashioned clothing and went to the Titanic exhibit at the Science Museum. Then she called me the smartest blonde she’s ever met and we all laughed.

Friday morning my lovely stylist showed up at 6:20, what a trooper. While Bonnie was the first on the hair schedule, I failed to tell her that we changed the time from 7 am to 6:30 am... you can imagine her delight when I came barreling down to the basement to get her up.

The photographer came at 10 and began snapping pics of everything. Bonnie put on her wedding dress and we got some pictures together in our dresses- fun!

Photo by Metalbird Media.

When Drew arrived we met in the backyard. He gave me the necklace and earrings I was wearing and I gave him an engraved pocket watch. (My mom gave my dad an engraved pocket watch on their wedding too!)

Then.. the Bosco fiasco happened- but hey, it wouldn’t be a Thoe/Imes wedding without some sort of Bosco fiasco.

The wedding was fabuloso! The wedding would not have been a success without the help of Candy, Kari, Nicole, McCayla’s boyfriend and Logan.. as well as the help of my sisters, parents and Drew’s parents. We truly thank you from the bottom of our hearts and I apologize you had to work so hard on Thursday and Friday.

Photo by Metalbird Media. Bouquet by Your Enchanted Florist.

Drew is so lucky to have best friends he's grown up with, they met in elementary school!
Photo by Metalbird Media.

It takes a lot of time, energy and moolah to be a bridesmaid... thanks again girls for making the journey to MN, for finding blue dresses and for putting up with me! I love you all sooooo much!!!
Photo by Metalbird Media.

Photo by Metalbird Media.

My Mom played guitar while McCayla sang "Perfect Two" by Auburn. It was amazing!
Photo by Metalbird Media.

Photo by Metalbird Media.

My Maid & Matron of Honor!
Photo by Metalbird Media.

Photo by Metalbird Media.

Sign by McCayla, Tin cans by TJ, bike ensemble put together by Tom Imes! (-:
Photo by Metalbird Media.

First dance to "You Send Me" by Sam Cooke. We never practiced dancing to that song, but it went okay nonetheless!
Photo by Metalbird Media.

I was able to sing a few songs with the band which was fun for me!
Photo by Metalbird Media.

Fast forward to Saturday morning!

On Saturday, we all reconvened at the Thoe house for gift opening. Here are some pics of some of the higlights!
Matching kimono robes from our neighbors!

A lefse maker, carrying on the Thoe tradition!!!

Yesterday our coworkers surprised us with this gorgeous quilt! Thanks Alyssa! We love it!!!  

At 4 o’clock we whipped out the butterhead. I was very sad to see her go. At 7:30 we all loaded onto the haywagon for a sunset tour of the Thoe farm.

These two pics are by Britt Klug!

At dusk, the neighbors lit off a bunch of fireworks in honor of their annual thrashing party which is always held the first weekend in August. After their grand finale, we followed suit and shot off our own fireworks. One of the fireworks did backfire on us.... but no injuries! (-:

The next day most people went home. Britt stayed an extra day so we took another haywagon ride over to the thrashing party where Britt was able to experience some antique tractors!

photo by  Brittsky

No comments:

Post a Comment