Total Pageviews

Monday, March 5, 2012

Indecisiveness + wedding planning = ... Amanda

When I first got engaged, an organized coworker lent me a book titled "Diaries of a Mad Bride". Never, ever read this book if you are either a.)prone to anxiety and/or b.)think you will ever need to plan a wedding someday... and let's face it, this is something everyone has to do at some point. Either for a daughter, sister, best friend or niece, there is no escaping wedding planning. I read the book, couldn't eat for two days, and decided it would be best to put off the planning period for as long as possible.

Beware! The moment the internet catches wind of your engagement/wedding via key words in your emails or your status on facebook, you will face an onslaught of online advertisement for your coming nuptials. Then, should you ever be so foolish as to give your real number to David's Bridal, or worse yet, a pending wedding date, they will sell your information to every and all wedding vendors in the tri-state area.  These little advertisements on the side of your gmail serve as a nagging reminder that there is a big task looming ahead.... They will not go away until you (I) actually plan... something.

Well, the time has come. The time has come to plan a wedding. My wedding to be more specific.

If you are like me, it's easy to imagine yourself living in a studio apartment in New York City, a yurt in Mongolia, a ranch in Wyoming, a beach house in San Diego, traveling the world moving from hostel to hostel... you get my point. I'm a dreamer. Dreamers have lots (and lots) of ideas but when it comes to actually making decisions, things get a little tricky.

Because it is difficult to make decisions, I think dreamers are often impulsive, making decisions on a whim. It is easier to just make a decision and never look back, like ripping off a band-aid. So, I picked a date: August 3rd, 2012. Yes, 2012, not 2013. Yes, that is less than six months away. Deep breath. We can do this!

Thanks to sites like pinterest and etsy, I have thousands of options to choose from for venues, save the date, wedding favors, hair pieces, veils, shoes, flowers, decorations, lighting, cake etc... I love the internet for the freedom of choice and variety it provides, but I also hate it for the very same reason. How is a girl like me ever supposed to pick from the virtual smorgasbord of wedding delights? My stream of consciousness suddenly sounds something like this: "Do I pick the white bird cage veil with a blue feather? Or the blue bird cage veil with a white flower? Or do I just go with a flower? Or just a feather? Or skip a head piece all together? Or should I try the Kim Kardashian beaded head piece... no tried that once for prom, it didn't work... Cupcakes or cake? Cake or cheesecake? Plain cheesecake or flavored cheesecake? Local wedding or destination wedding?" I think I'm turning into Bridezilla.

Everyone keeps telling me to just do what I want, well the problem is I don't know what I want! I want to marry Drew, the love of my happy life. I want to look pretty on my wedding day. Beyond that... the world is my oyster (within budget).

Luckily, I have a few tools at my disposal. Britt, a designer and fashionista, is great at narrowing down ideas on pinterest. Keeley, shrewd, wise and sarcastic is good at reigning me in from the clouds and preventing me from taking on too many "DIY" projects. Bonnie and my Mom are always willing to listen, humor my ideas and patiently calm me down when I get worked up. (Fingers crossed... they'll plan it for me? Here's hoping?)

So... I guess I'm going to drag my few blog readers along for the ride... the road to my wedding August 3rd, 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment